Monday, March 3, 2014

Lost in another world...

One of my favorite things to do is to read. I have loved reading my whole life. 
I would have to say that the first time I've ever gotten lost in another world of reading was when I started the Harry Potter series for the first time at the age of 8. I have read that entire series many, many more times (about seven, I think). 

I have fond memories of being unable to put down the intellectual books in the Artemis Fowl series, or the witty novels of the Series of Unfortunate Events. I guess I have a thing for series. 

When I started college, my hunger for books faltered because, as a lot of you may know, you have so. much. reading. to do for classes. Reading anything else for pleasure seems like I am being a slacker, and I could be reading my school books instead. 

My sister, my dad and I all share this passion. It is really fun that we can all speak in what seems like a totally different language when talking about books we're reading. Matt, however, does not share this hobby with me... that's for sure! He doesn't like reading at all. My insatiable desire to be reading is pretty foreign to him but I think it is something that makes him love me more, as it is truly who I am. 

(I love how being in love can do that to us... we really love people for all the little quirks and hobbies they have, even if we don't "get them.")

Anyways, I've been on a particularly obsessive reading kick lately. Somehow, in the midst of school and work, I have found the ability to steal a few hours here and there to devour a new plot. The books I've read lately include: 


A Discovery of Witches


Where'd You Go, Bernadette


The Book Thief



The Divergent Series: Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant


and I've just barely finished The Husband's Secret

I think they are all great reads, but I have to talk a little bit about the Divergent series. 

Oh. My. Goodness. Saying I was "in another world" is really a gross understatement. I legitimately dreamed I was in this book every night for the whole week it took me to finish the series. I kept thinking that my husband reminded me so much of one of the main characters, Four. I told him that like 100 times and I'm sure he was getting creeped out.  I read through class last week because that's all I could think about. And without spoiling the end, I sobbed like a baby as I finished the series. The end ........ ugh. It is so sad but so poetically perfect. In short, I highly recommend it. Fun, fast read. And now I am super excited for the movie to come out in a few weeks. That's how I get Matt involved! ;)

Have a great week... and share with me some of your current favorite books! I'm flying through my list like wildfire right now:)


2 comments:

  1. I love reading too! Divergent was definitely all consuming! And I remember your and Mallory's obsession with Harry Potter, I think I was introduced to a Harry computer game while babysitting you crazy girls. Have you read Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)? Very good and very quick read. I also recently read The Aviator's Wife, and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh we used to play that game all the time! Thanks so much for the suggestions, I haven't read any of those. I'm excited to give them a try!

      Delete